There are some misconceptions going around about shelter pups, and it’s time to bury that bone. So sit, stay and let these pups drop some serious knowledge.
1. Dreamin’ of a pawticular pup like diz Corgi cutie? 20-30% of dogs in shelters are purebred! There are incredible breed-specific rescues everywhere– a quick Google search will help you dig for what you need.
Source: Corgi Puppies WordPress
2. It costs taxpayers roughly 2 BILLION bones a year to round up, shelter and euthanize homeless animals. Wouldn’t you rather pay that tab with ruv and belly scratches?
Source: Scoop Whoop
3. Gotta case of puppy ruv? The average age of animals entering shelters is 18 months… still pawfectly puppyish if that’s what you’re after!
Source: National Relief Charities
4. Science shows that dog owners are less stressed thanks to hormonal and chemical changes that occur from spending time with their pups! All the more reason to snuggle a shelter buddy.
5. Does the thought of high medical bills make you paws when it comes to shelter dogs? Well, a whopping 90% of animal entering the shelter system are healthy and ready-to-adopt!
Source: Amazing Creature
6. Your pup could be the next rags-to-riches story! Instagram cutie Tuna started out on the wrong side of the tracks, but now he’s made good to the tune of 700 k followers and is doing good for other pups thanks his fame.
Source: @tunameltsmyheart Instagram
7. Did you know adopting a pup can help you lose weight? Dog owners are more active than their pet-less counterparts. (Sneaking in exercise through walks and fetch doesn’t hurt, either!)
Source: Watch Fit
8. 5 to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. That’s SO many chances for you to find a best friend!
Source: Bark and Clark
9. Unfortunately, most pet stores get their cuties from puppy mills. Adopting ensures you aren’t supporting this practice.
Source: Companion Animal Psychology
10. 1 out of every 10 dogs born will find a permanent home. That statistic stinks like poo, if ya ask us!
Source: Img Flip
11. Being a pup parent doesn’t have to cost you a tail and a leg! Did you know about 65% of pet owners acquire their pets for free or at a low cost?
Source: Starting Your Own Business
12. By adopting you won’t be supporting the cruel practice of puppy mills where mamas are overbred and spend most of their lives in cages. That’s some good canine karma!
13. Many of the adult dogs have already been trained! That can mean less mess to clean up and one less new trick to each an old dog!
Featured image via NTRSCTN